Naturalis Biodiversity Center in Leiden is the Dutch national institute for biodiversity and systematics. With our collection of 42 million specimens, one of the world’s largest natural history collections, and our state-of-the-art research facilities we offer the (inter)national research infrastructure for species identification and monitoring. We present the history of our planet, and the diversity of life on Earth, through permanent and temporary museum exhibitions, educational programmes and online presence, with more than 400,000 visitors per year.
ARISE (https://www.arise-biodiversity.nl) wants to achieve an organized overview of all multicellular flora and fauna in the Netherlands and the infrastructure to identify them semi-automatically. ARISE aims to establish a unique end-to-end infrastructure that measures the occurrence of species from digital media, sensors, and eDNA. ARISE facilitates the measurement of biodiversity at any location in the Netherlands and helps users interpret a wide variety of biodiversity data. ARISE is a cross-organization, ambitious project driven by a diverse team of enthusiastic engineers, ecologists, and computer scientists.
Naturalis is looking for a
Software Developer – BioCloud
As a full-stack software developer, you are part of the BioCloud team within the ARISE project. This team is responsible for developing the underlying infrastructure of the entire ARISE program, which will facilitate acquiring, connecting, standardizing, aggregating, contextualizing and linking data. This includes the architecture, detailed design and development of data management services, integration services for connecting various data sources to ARISE as well as web interfaces and application programming interfaces (APIs) from which the infrastructure and the data services can be accessed.
We are looking for a talented, motivated, and innovative full-stack software developer who helps design, build and maintain the BioCloud and the underlying data services. You will be involved in the architectural design process. You will be involved in implementing both the frontend and backend components and designing, developing, testing, monitoring, and logging the developed web services and improvements. As a full-stack developer, you have a broad knowledge of tools, techniques, and programming languages.
Do you have the technical skills to enable the automated discovery of biodiversity? In this position, your coding skills will help unravel the complexity and reveal the beauty of natural biodiversity. Moreover, your expertise will help to combat the immense challenge of biodiversity decline.
This is a unique opportunity to contribute to a new research infrastructure that aims to identify all species in the Netherlands and innovate on biodiversity monitoring.
- You are a team player with a great sense of responsibility and a high degree of independence. You feel comfortable working in a distributed work environment, collaborating with people from different backgrounds and organisations
- You enjoy working in an agile setting with a multidisciplinary team
- You have a service-oriented attitude with good communication skills
- (Desirable) experience with scalable APIs / microservices
- You have experience in DevOPS platform usage preferably Gitlab, automated tests and containerization
- You have experience with or contribution to open source software
- You have at least a BSc in applied sciences or university thinking level (for Dutch applicants, that means minimally HBO/WO). Preferably in software engineering or similar technical study
- You are self-motivated and able to complete tasks with minimum supervision. You are proactive, show initiative in work, come up with new ideas, and like to keep up to date with modern technologies
- You think in long-term, scalable and maintainable but also pragmatic and practical solutions
- You have good writing and verbal communication skills in English. You have an interest in, and preferably affinity with the community, biodiversity, and the field of natural sciences and biology
Do you not yet have enough knowledge or experience with one of the technologies or skills mentioned above, but are you eager to learn? Then we offer you the opportunity to develop yourself further to acquire the remaining skills.
A contract (36 hours per week, 32 is possible) for a period of one year, to be extended with one year after a successful first year evaluation, and a monthly gross salary between
€ 3,099.– and € 4,053.–. You also get an allowance for travel expenses, holiday allowance (8%) and year-end bonus (3.4%). ARISE is a unique joint project by Naturalis, the University of Amsterdam, Westerdijk Institute, and the University of Twente. This software developer position in the BioCloud team will primarily involve collaboration with teams at Naturalis and the University of Twente.
Applicants are invited to submit their application, including a cover letter and CV, 12 September at the latest (CEST) by using the application button. For position related questions feel free to contact Wilfred Gerritsen, head of IT Application development and management department: email@example.com. For procedural information please contact the HR department (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Naturalis endorses the Cultural Diversity Code. In the case of equal suitability, preference is given to the candidate who reinforces diversity within the team.
Acquisition is not appreciated.